Friday, May 26, 2006

I'll be honest

I'm a pirate.
Not the kind of pirate that lives on ships and secret fortresses. I don't pillage towns and carry off women with me in my ship. I don't capture ships to steal their gold, and I don't fly a jolly roger from my mast.
I tried living that way for awhile, but I didn't like it. I nearly lost an eye, and I only finished paying the medical bill for it last month.

I do, however, pirate bandwidth.
When I moved into my apartment, I planned on not having the internet, in order to save money, but when I connected my wireless adapter, I discovered an unencrypted network with a good signal. I was connected to the internet, and for the first time in 8 years, I wasn't paying for it.
Too good to be true?
Sometimes. I had no connection for the last eight days, and just when I was getting excited about blogging every day again. Oh well.

I don't feel at all bad about using this bandwidth. People rarely use their connection to it's full capacity, it's more efficient to share. I'm not greedy in my use of it. When I download or upload, I limit my speeds. I don't want to choke their connection. If I could figure out where the signal was coming from, I would be willing to pay part or half the bill, in exchange for, perhaps, moving their router closer to the window.

For now though, I just mercifully thank the unseen soul that has left their network unencrypted. Thank you thank you thank you for the months of internet connection.

No comments: