Thursday, May 18, 2006

Rabbit

A few days ago, I was walking home at night. In a small patch of greenery to my right I saw a rabbit. It did not move, and it's eyes were wide open.
As I passed, I wondered if I could be quick enough to catch it; I was already very close.
I read a book once (or saw a movie?) which explained how to kill a captured rabbit.
I pictured myself holding the rabbit's head in my hand, and swinging the body around my head like a sling with a stone in it, breaking the rabbits neck. I didn't have any plastic bags with me so I thought that I would just hold it under my jacket; it was dark, and I was only a short distance at home.
Then I thought about what I would do with it. I pictured myself in front of the sink, and thought about which of my knives I would use. I would need to slit the arteries in it's neck, so I would probably use my smaller, serrated steak knife. Then I would tie it's feet and hang it over the sink to let the blood drain out. That done, I would need to gut it next. I thought about a vertical slit on it's belly from it's neck to it's groin, but I would need to not cut into the digestive tract, to keep from contaminating the meat. I would probably have needed to look up the anatomy of a rabbit online.

I remember working at a grocery store in Utah. I'd been feeling a little pointless, and started thinking that I might want to join a big brother program.
The next day, a boy came into the store and started talking to me. And kept talking to me. He stayed for 3 hours that day, just talking to me. I was mystified by how quickly I'd found a little brother.
One day he went fishing and brought me a small cooler packed with ice. Inside, were three tiny bass, and a catfish.
I took them home and put them in the sink. I'd never gutted a fish. He'd told me briefly what to do, and I started by scraping off the scales with a knife. Then I gutted each of the fish, their slimy and tubular entrails slapping down into my metallic sink. It was... strange, and when I finished I had 8 little fillets of fish.

I didn't try to catch the rabbit. I walked past it and went home. The brutality required to catch and kill my own food is not required of me where I live, but the knowledge of what does happen to allow me to eat some of my meals, lingers at the periphery of my thoughts.
I can say, though, that the fillets I separated from the bodies of those fish were extra delicious.

No comments: