Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bike Trip / Spain Journal #2

Whoops. I had a miserable nights sleep. Not bringing a sleeping pad was a mistake. The ground beneath me was cold, cold, cold, and only got colder as the night went on. It woke me twice in the night; I had to fight against it the whole time, gradually wrapping myself in every piece of clothing I brought. I’m going to buy a sleeping pad in Astoria, definitely.

-- I had a wonderful ride down the mountain on the other side, after having to do another climb. The sound came out as I flew down to the bottom, where the road went through a small town called Clatskanie (klats-kuh-nye). I had the luck of being able to listen to a breakfast meeting between a local official and a railroad rep. It was stimulating to listen to, as I looked out a long row of windows at deep green pine forest, hills, a small green river and houses. Had my first cup of coffee in months.

No comments: