Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Hypnotube

I have never owned a TV, but I have lived with TV's, though not since last October. I used to be thoroughly addicted to the networks, I mean I knew the schedules pretty solidly for about 5 channels from 5:30am up to about midnight. I could recite the lineups from memory.
That was in 1998. That same year, I started working two jobs and suddenly didn't have time for TV anymore. First I missed one week of my favorite shows, then two weeks in a row. What was happening on Millennium and X-Files? Did the smoking man reappear? Where's Moulder's sister? Who's really engineering the apocalypse?
After a month, I didn't really care anymore, and I haven't gone back to the TV since. Sometimes I'll watch a show if I'm near a TV and other people are watching it, but that's rare.

Yesterday, I was given a little 5.5 inch black and white TV to call my own, my first TV.
I just spent half an hour with it, going through all the channels to see what it receives, and landed on Fox. American Idol was on.
I watched it for a little while, and I found myself to be incredulous. The air of drama that is created by the show seemed no thicker than the wall of a soap bubble. Personally, I was unable to relate to a single person that I saw presented. I've seen more character in a CG animation. I don't know whether to be impressed or disgusted. And this show is incredibly popular - what does that mean?

I have drifted far from my TV watching days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are few things I can stand to watch on TV anymore. Some things on PBS like NOVA or American Experience. One cooking show called "Good Eats" and the ever delightfull "Myth Busters" After that I can naught for uninteractive glowing boxes and move towards my computer for semi-mindless escapism