Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Metal

I've been thinking that I'd like to wear earrings again. I have two holes in each ear that used to be at a 14 or 16 gauge, but I've worn nothing in them for over two years now. I lost and gave away all of my earrings in the meantime.
The holes are still visible, and I've wondered about them, so I tossed four safety pins in a pot of water and started boiling the water. I boiled them for a few minutes, and then decided that I didn't really think it was going to matter and poured the water out and gingerly retrieved one of them.
I went into my bathroom and stood in front of the mirror, and began to push it into the lower hole in my right ear. I didn't get it in very far, and I was worried that I would deviate from the old hole while part way through and punch out of a new spot on the other side.
My ear turned red and began to hurt, so I stopped.
That was last night.
Tonight, I thought, "Fuck it," skipped the boiling, took one of the pins and went for the other ear. I jammed it straight through in one try.
It felt pretty good, actually. A self managed pain.
I cleaned it, and now happily have a safety pin through my ear.
One down, three to go.
Time to go jewelry shopping.

3 comments:

Alonzo Riley said...

Oh wow, "gingerly" is SOO nate. :) The perfect word to articulate the meshing of the chaos and the tenderness.

I'm not sure, however, if I approve of your polysyndition.

Nate said...

I looked up polysyndition and didn't find much. Did you mean polysyndeton?
If so, then this sentence might be representative of possible abuse:

"I boiled them for a few minutes, and then decided that I didn't really think it was going to matter and poured the water out and gingerly retrieved one of them."

Perhaps a more comfortable alternative would be:

"I boiled them for a few minutes, but then decided that I didn't think it was going to matter; I poured the water out and gingerly retrieved one of them."

Replacing two of the "and"'s with a "but" and a ";" adds more variation to the sentence and interrupts the polysyndeton, which was admittedly cumbersome.

Thanks, I learned a new word!

Alonzo Riley said...

Yeah, I checked the spelling after I wrote it, but your blog has no edit button, so I was stuck in my error. Polysyndeton is a GREAT snoot-word :)