Sunday, March 19, 2006

Successful day

On my walk home from work tonight, I sang. I sang the whole way, on my two mile walk. I sang noises and it was circusy, but sort of drunk walking with my feet flipping out widely on each step.

Me me me.

I exercised my Japan fetish heartily today.
I went to Mitsuwa Marketplace with my Japanese friend and a fellow Nihongo enthusiast. We wandered and spoke and shopped and ate and I spoke more Japanese in a day than I ever have. It was wonderful. I feel so small in my knowledge of the language and constant exposure to just how much there is to learn, but I'm gaining a confidence in my ability to learn it and speak and understand it. Today I really broke through the stress boundary that has encircled by shaky grasp of the language. I spoke it thoughtlessly a few times, and forgot to be nervous.
That's great!!
Best I've felt about the language so far.

1 comment:

Alonzo Riley said...

Damn. I really need to focus on a language. There are just so many! I don't know where to begin. A girlfriend right now is from Hong Kong and speaks Cantoneese, which is VERY interesting. One sound can have 9 different meanings based on different inflections/intonations. There are 9 different styles any word can be said in and each can mean something completely different.