Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Past in present

A few weeks ago, I checked out two books from the library.
Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and The Light of Other Days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter.
I finished Mrs. Dalloway today, and picked up the second book.
I was surprised to find that there was a quote from Virginia Woolf in the beginning of the book, that explained the premise of The Light of Other Days.

How oddly synchronous is that?

This is the quote:

"Is it not possible-I often wonder-that things we have felt with great intensity have an experience independent of our minds; are in fact still in existence? And if so, will it not be possible, in time, that some device will be invented by which we can tap them?...Instead of remembering here a scene and there a sound, I shall fit a plug into the wall; and listen in to the past..."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, your gonna love the Baxter book. It's got a great fucking ending.

P.S.

My blog will begin again soon.