Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Procrastination?

Today was a day I reserved for studying Japanese and doing some housework that gets neglected during my odd work week: dishes, laundry, sweep the floor.
I've been avoiding the novel I wrote last November, but only in part. I've been thinking about it a lot. I finally started my first read-through of it a few days ago. I read the first chapter, and made notes on paper and in the computer version of the text. I like the technique, and already came up with a lot of things I'd like to change.
Now I need to work a continually recurring version of this process into my weekly routine, and I'll get the editing done, and turn my book into something I really like, rather than something I sorta of like and am a little embarrassed of.

My insurance kicked in anew as of the first of January, and I've been feeling a need to schedule a dental appointment and find an eye doctor and a general practitioner of medicine in my neighborhood. Something else I've been putting off.

I believe I like to put things off.

I've become so much better about actually doing the things I put on my lists than when I was younger, but this just encourages me to put more things on the list.
I really like to cross things off that I've added to the list, but I also feel that I may enjoy even more the self effacing misery of knowing that I'm doing other things than what my list tells me I ought to be doing.
That anguish may be what keeps any artistically able functioning alive in my electron tweezed brain.
I hope so because my tendencies don't appear to be changing, only getting more complex.

No comments: